Child guidance should always be based on a foundation of connection. The goal is to help develop the child’s self esteem and emotional well being. In order to do this we must support the child in managing their behaviours and help them with the skills to be able to be able to problems solve independently.
- Helps children feel a sense of connection (Belonging and significance)
- Is mutually respectful and encouraging (kind and firm at the same time)
- Is effective long term (considers what the child is thinking, feeling, learning and deciding about himself and his world- and what to do un the future to survive or thrive)
- Teaches important social and life skills (respect, concern for others, problem solving and cooperation as well as the skills to contribute to the home, school or larger community)
- Invites children to discover how capable they are (encourages the constructive use of personal power and autonomy)
Adapted from Positive Discipline by Dr. Jane Nelsen
Our Operations Director Rachael is a certified Positive Discipline Parent Trainer. If you have any questions about your child’s development or behaviours please ask! We are here to help and support you in the optimal development of your children.